Watch the 8 minute film at the top (Redlining’s Still Doing Black America Dirty) and then read the article beneath it: “Redlining: The Origin Story of Institutional Racism” by Michael Harriot.
Then answer the following questions in a 350-word post in essay format:
- What is redlining and why/how did it come about?
- Who was impacted by redlining?
- What is the impact of redlining’s legacy on people of color today? (in terms of education, war on drugs and policing of particular neighborhoods, etc)
- Why do you think this article called “The Origin Story of Institutional Racism”?
- What are you thoughts and feelings on redlining? (Were you aware this practice and how much influence it still has on racial inequality today?)