Video: Episode 2: Order and Disorder (1825-1865) This episode of NEW YORK: A DOCUMENTARY FILM details New York’s enormous growth as a booming commercial center and multi-ethnic port, and the mounting tensions that set the stage for the nation’s bloodiest riot.
Watch the section on Central Park, minutes 54-1:07 in Episode 2.
copy and paste into browser, link may not work directly.
these lectures will also be helpful:
Jacob Riis & NYC Slums
1. What were the public health and quality of life issues faced by New York in the nineteenth century? Be specific from each film.
2. What solutions were proposed? What projects were created?
3. How successful were these projects?
4. What were some of the costs of these projects? In other words, were there any negative results of reform that you can see?
5. How do these reforms still impact our lives today?