The exam consists of 15 short answer questions. Some questions ask for a definition of a concept while others ask for application and/or analysis. Please answer each of the following questions in paragraph form with the question numbers labeled and submit the exam.
- How does a football game reflect a symbolic reality? How is this reality communicated and what are some of the symbols?
- What is socialization? How does this concept relate to the nature/nurture debate?
- Define rules of denial and give an empirical example of this concept from your own interactions.
- What is emotion work or management?
- What is the difference between surface and deep acting?
- Select one of the articles that address feeling rules. What is the emotion and what is the feeling norm? How is the feeling rule learned?
- What does it mean to say bodies are disciplined?
- What are gendered bodily practices and how are these practices learned?
- How is emotional management a part of gender identity? What role does emotion work play in the maintenance differences and inequalities between men and women? Provide a specific example to support your position.
- What is an example of culture shaping your own bodily experience? How are cultural meaning inscribed onto the body in your example?
- Describe the ways in which individuals have control over bodily practices, but are also limited in the freedom of expression. Explain how this paradox connects to the commodification of culture.
- What is the I and Me? What is the generalized other?
- What does it mean to say the self is social? What theoretical perspective does this statement represent?
- Explain the model minority stereotype and describe how this cultural value impacted the identity development of the Cambodian American students.
- According to Gubrium and Holstein, how do new forms of interaction and community building impact the social construction of the self?