Mark Swann, the director of human resources at General Appliances, needs to develop a recruiting strategy due to the growth of the company, as well as the impending retirement of a large portion of its aging workforce. Swann is particularly concerned about recruiting assembly line employees. He has hired you as a consultant to assist him in formulating a plan.
To access the case study, see the attached: General Appliances Case Study
The following supplemental reading from the Harvard Business Review is recommended for this case: What is organizational culture? And why should we care?
Requirements – Your report for the case study must include the following sections:
1. Cover Page
2. Overview Summarize the case scenario (one paragraph)
3. Discussion Questions Answer the discussion questions listed below
4. Conclusion Briefly reflect your thoughts and opinions based on the case (one paragraph)
5. Reference Page
In addition to the information in the case study itself, students should utilize a minimum of three sources, which can include the textbook and/or any recommended supplemental material, in order to complete this assignment. These sources must be credible and scholarly (i.e., no unvetted blog posts or use of Wikipedia). Industry organizations such as SHRM, as well as publications such as the Harvard Business Review and other peer-reviewed journals, are all good examples of credible sources. Remember to use parenthetical in-text citations in APA format throughout your paper to indicate the source of your information.
1. The job satisfaction rate at General Appliances is much higher than the national average. What role does this culture play at the company, and how might it be an advantage during the recruitment process?
2. Which recruitment strategy would you recommend to Swann: open or targeted? Explain your reasoning, and the advantages of your approach.
3. Consider the three types of recruitment messages: realistic, branded, and targeted. Which approach would you suggest for General Appliances, and why? Identify at least one potential drawback to your chosen method.
4. Evaluate the recruiting sources outlined in Exhibit 5.9 of your textbook. If you could only pick one, which source do you think would be most appropriate to utilize in this case? Why? What is the potential impact on HR?
5. What strategies will you employ to ensure youre attracting a diverse group of applicants?
All papers must be completed in APA format. This assignment should be between 2-3 pages in length (the cover page and reference page do not count towards this minimum), and must be typed using Times New Roman 12-point font, double-spaced, and with one-inch margins. Papers should also be spell-checked and grammar-checked.
An abstract is not required, and will not count towards the 2-3 page length requirement if included. It is preferred that students not copy and paste the discussion questions into their papers; if the questions are included, they will not count towards the page requirement minimum.